DIY Homemade fly traps
While the most effective way to get rid of flies is enlisting the help of pest control professionals, there are DIY methods designed to get rid of flies. Homemade fly traps are simple, cost-effective ways to combat flies, although their effectiveness varies. Here are some traps you can make with common household items.
Soda Bottle Traps
- Clean an empty, plastic two-liter soda bottle.
- Carefully cut the top third of the bottle by cutting near where the top of the label used to be.
- Pour a sweet liquid, like sugar water, in the larger, bottom third of the bottle.
- Turn the top third of the bottle upside-down, making a cone shape, and place it in the opening of the larger part of the bottle.
- Flies will find their way into the bottle but will be unable to get out.
Vinegar and Dish Soap Fly Trap
- Use a shallow dish bowl and fill it with an inch of apple cider vinegar and a tablespoon of sugar.
- Next, add some fruit-scented dish soap.
- You can leave the dish uncovered or tightly covered with plastic wrap. Make sure to poke a few holes in it to attract the flies.